10 Vows I’m Making to Myself This Spring
Spring is all about new beginnings for me, it’s about dusting off the cobwebs of winter and letting go. Starting fresh. This is the season to blossom and bloom. I’m really in the mood to give myself a good spring clean, to break old habits and start news ones, so here are ten vows I am making myself to do just that.
1. ‘Stuff Your Pockets’. This is a term I came across when I was reading Feminists Don’t Wear Pink. It means to learn, to ‘stuff’ yourself with information in order for you to grow. I promise myself to never stop learning.
2. I have horribly neglected my body for the past year. Yes, I have started eating way healthier in the last six months, but the most exercise I do is walking up and down the stairs. Working from home means I don’t even have to leave the house to go to work. I may be slim, but I’m very weak, and I don’t feel strong at all. I vow to give my body exercise and take up swimming again, which I used to love as a kid. I’ve worked on giving myself a strong mind, now it’s time for a body to match.
3. Keep your room clean. I’m extremely guilty of putting my clothes on the back of my chair to ‘put away later’, but later doesn’t come until the clothes are falling on the floor. If it’s going to take less than a minute to do, then do it right away. I vow to break free from the cycle of ‘the chair’.
4. Smile more. I’m very guilty of having a resting bitch face and have the tendency to look constantly angry. I have a positive outlook on life, so I really want that to start showing in my face.
5. Read more diverse authors. I’ve had a scan of my bookshelf recently and noticed that my collection is severely lacking in the diversity department. I vow to read more books written by BIPOC.
6. Explore. I hate going outside in winter. I just hate it. But now spring is in the air I want to start exploring more and visiting places I’ve never been to before. I vow to get outside more.
7. Keep your head in the clouds, but your feet on the ground. I’ve always lived in my own little world, but I need to keep at least one foot rational. I vow to always chase my dreams, but follow them up with rational thought. How much I choose to listen to that thought is to be determined.
8. Wake up earlier. I could get so much more done in the day if I just got up earlier. Take today for example, I got up at seven and had managed to eat and work out before 8am! I vow to get out of bed when my alarm goes off. Stop pressing the snooze button.
9. Read at least two books a month. It may not sound like a lot, but with me constantly working, writing and now adding fitness to the list it can become quite difficult to switch off and actually have some down time. I vow to read more, because that’s when I feel most content.
0. Push yourself out of your comfort zone. I’ve got a lot better at doing this in the last six months and it’s something I want to continue to do. I love pushing myself to do things I’ve never done before, so why stop?